Animal Control

You can now submit an online enquiry to our Animal Control team. Be sure to fill in all relevant information to help us respond to you as quickly as possible. Please read our eServices Terms and ConditionsPlease note that this is only checked during business hours - if you have an urgent request please phone us on 03 209 0330 or 0800 GOREDC.

Lost your dog? It may be in our pound. Click here for the list of dogs currently in the pound. 

The Gore District Council is responsible for ensuring animals kept within the urban areas do not cause a nuisance, or are a threat to public health and safety.

If you live in town, some of the animals you can keep are

  • Sheep
  • Horses
  • Goats
  • Donkeys
  • Chickens
  • Roosters
  • Bees

You will need to fill out a permit to keep animals in town, however there is no fee.

Keeping animals in town permit application [PDF, 210 KB] 

In some instances special conditions may apply, such as a soundproof enclosure for roosters. You should check the Council’s bylaw about keeping animals, poultry and bees or contact us if you have any questions.

Keeping of Animals Poultry and Bees Bylaw 2016 [PDF, 2.4 MB]

There are some animals not permitted in urban areas, including

  • Pigs
  • Cattle
  • Deer
  • Thar


The Council is not responsible for the control of pests within our urban areas or the countryside. However, we have animal traps for hire. These are available from the Civic Centre, in Bowler Avenue, Gore, and cost $10 a week. You will have to pay a $50 bond, which is refundable.

For more information about pests go to the Environment Southland website.

Gore District Council 29 Bowler Avenue Gore P: 03 209 0330 E: