Rates Rebate

Let’s face it, everyone would like to get a little back on their rates account.

The good news is that you can. The Gore District Council processes over 550 applications each year under the Rates Rebate Scheme, which it administers on behalf of the Department of Internal Affairs.

If you want to find out if you qualify for a refund read on.

Who Can Apply?

You can apply for a refund if:

  • you pay the rates for the address you live at,
  • you have been living at the address since the start of the rating year (1 July), and
  • your name is on our Rating Information Database as the ratepayer.

If the property is being used mainly for business, farming, commercial or industrial purposes, or is not your usual place of residence you cannot claim a rates rebate.

When To Apply

Applications opened on 1 July and can be made anytime up to the end of the rating year. Applications close on 30 June for this present rating year (2017/18).

How Do I Know if I Qualify?

Rebates are calculated on your household income, rates and the number of dependants you have.

The income eligibility threshold for this present financial year is $24,790.  The maximum rebate amount is $620.

You may still qualify for a rebate even if your income is more than $24,790 when other factors, such as the amount you pay in rates or the number of dependants, are taken into account.

To help you calculate whether you qualify the Department of Internal Affairs has a rebate entitlement calculator; or contact our customer service team on 209 0330.

How Do I Apply?

Applications can be made with our Customer Service team at the Civic Centre in Gore. Please phone to make an appointment so we can make sure we have everything ready when you visit. This helps speed up the application process and saves you time.

Our staff are more than happy to help you with an application and will even come to your home if you are immobile.

Rebates are granted under the Rates Rebate Act 1973 and you must provide income information so the rebate can be calculated. You will also have to supply the following supporting information:

  • a copy of your rates account, and
  • proof of your income for the previous tax year.

For more information about the scheme or to download a copy of the application form visit the DIA website.

Gore District Council 29 Bowler Avenue Gore P: 03 209 0330 E: info@goredc.govt.nz