12 October 2019
2019 Election Results - 3 New Councillors for Gore
There will be three new faces around the table when the Gore District Council meets next.
• Richard McPhail, who was elected to the District-wide ward,
• Nick Grant, who was elected to the Gore ward, and
• Stewart MacDonell, who gained the Kaiwera-Waimumu ward unopposed.
All sitting councillors were returned to office. Gore District Mayor Tracy Hicks retained his seat unopposed. This will be his sixth term as mayor. The Mataura Community Board also has a new member with Steve (Boko) Dixon elected.
This is a preliminary result. The final result will be posted next week.
Gore District Mayor Tracy Hicks said he was looking forward to working with the new council.
“The new councillors bring a good mix of skills to the table.”
The mayor intends to meet individually with each member of his team over the next week or so.
The statutory meeting at which the mayor and councillors are sworn in will be held on Tuesday 29 October. As of Friday, 43.44% of voters (3,809 voters) had cast their vote. This does not include votes in transit to the processing centre and special votes.
This year's voter turnout is down on the 2016 election when 59.4% of eligible voters in the District had their say.
Detailed results for the Gore District Council and Mataura Licensing Trust are:
Gore Ward (5 vacancies)
- REID, Bronwyn - 1,791 votes
- GRANT, Doug - 1,662 votes
- HIGHSTED, Bret - 1,600 votes
- GRANT, Nick - 1,387 votes
- DICKSON, Glenys (Independent) - 1,225 votes
- DUNCAN, Adam - 893 votes
- INFORMAL - 3
- BLANK VOTING PAPERS - 31
Council - At Large (3 vacancies)
- MCPHAIL, Richard - 3,014 votes
- DAVIS, Nicky - 2,438 votes
- BOLGER, Cliff - 2,300 votes
- DIXON, Steven Boko - 1,191 votes
- INFORMAL - 2
- BLANK VOTING PAPERS - 142
Mataura Community Board (5 vacancies)
- SINCLAIR, Linda - 296 votes
- TAYLOR, Sue - 288 votes
- TAYLOR, Alan - 263 votes
- DIXON, Steven Boko - 228 votes
- CHAFFEY, Greg - 215 votes
- THOMAS, Lisa Jayne - 174 votes
- ROWLING, Tanya - 152 votes
- INFORMAL - 0
- BLANK VOTING PAPERS - 1
Mataura Licensing Trust - Ward 2 (3 vacancies)
- CORMACK, Alison - 1,455 votes
- BURGESS, Bryan - 1,358 votes
- ALLISON, Jimmy - 1,256 votes
- BANNERMAN, Yvonne - 1,011 votes
- HASLEMORE, Ross – 982 votes
- INFORMAL - 21
- BLANK VOTING PAPERS - 66
Mataura Licensing Trust - Ward 3 (1 vacancy) Votes Received
- MURRAY, Brendon (Moe) – 283 votes
- DAVIS, Yvette – 83 votes
- INFORMAL - 0
- BLANK VOTING PAPERS - 9
Gore & Districts Health Inc (4 vacancies)
- MCLEARY MOORE, Alison - 2,293 votes
- BEALE, Ralph - 2,199 votes
- GOODGER, Peter - 2,181 votes
- GRANT, Peter - 1,993 votes
- AITKEN, Warren - 1,519 votes
- INFORMAL - 1
- BLANK VOTING PAPERS – 14
This result is based upon the counting of approximately 95% of the returned votes. The progress result does not include some special votes and votes returned today that are still in transit to the processing centre. The outcome of these elections may change once all votes have been counted.
2019 Preliminary Election results [PDF, 48 KB]