20 April 2018
Anzac Day commemorations
Next Wednesday (25 April) young and old will gather in communities throughout the south to remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice for their country. Anzac Day services will be held at the following locations:
Gore - Dawn Parade 6.30am
- The 100th service will be held at the cenotaph following the parade of ex service personnel, Service Groups, Scouts, Guides etc, which is to assemble on the corner of Mersey and Main Streets at 6:30am, and be led by the Hokonui Celtic Pipe Band and official wreath bearers.
- Wreaths may be placed at this Service. Please register your names with the RSA before the day.
- Dress - Mufti and medals.
- RSA Members, participants, and friends are welcome back to the RSA Clubrooms after the Parade.
- The Gore RSA Bistro will be open for a $15 buffet breakfast from 8.00am to 10.00am. A light lunch from the Bistro will also be available from 12 noon – 2.00pm and from 5:30pm for dinner.
- There will be musical entertainment at the clubrooms from 9.00am till 3.00pm.
- Live video feed from the cenotaph to the RSA clubrooms.
- Courtesy coach will be available all day. Pickups for the service restricted to returned servicemen, their wives or widows. Please call the RSA to arrange a pick-up.
- A reserved table has been set aside at the clubrooms for Returned Soldiers.
- Guest Speaker: Colonel Roger McElwain (Ret)
Mataura – 7.00am
- Assemble at the Mataura Butcher shop in Bridge Street at 6:45am.
- Minister: Rev Tau Ben Unu
Special address at the RSA clubrooms following the Service along with a cup of coffee and breakfast
Pukerau – 9.30am
- A service will be held at the Memorial Gates at 9.30am.
- Official Opening of the Dick Travis Memorial Wall
- There will be a morning tea at the Community Centre following the Service. Ladies a plate please.
- Padre: Rev Bruce Cavanagh
- Guest Speaker: Margaret Pullar
Tapanui – 9.30am
- The Service will be held at the Community Centre at 9:30am.
- Following the Service everyone is welcome back to the RSA Clubrooms for a cup of tea and refreshments.
- Chairman: Horace McAuley
- Parade Marshall: Bill Roulston
- Guest Speaker: Lt. Colonel Dougal Barker
Tuturau – 11.00am
- An Anzac Day Service will be held at 11:00am at the Tuturau War Memorial.
- Minister: Rev Tau Ben Unu
- Lunch to follow at the Tuturau Hall
Waikaka – 10.00am
- The Waikaka Anzac Committee invites members and the general public to participate in their Anzac Day Service to be held at the Waikaka Centennial Hall at 10:00am.
- The scout flag raising ceremony will begin at 9:55am.
- Following the service march to the war memorial for wreath laying.
- Chairman: Hugh Gardyne
- Chaplain: Rev. Doug Stevenson.
- Guest Speaker: Grant Traill
- The Service will be followed by a luncheon for all attending. Families a plate please.
Waimumu/Te Tipua – 10.00am
- An Anzac Service will be held at the Waimumu-TeTipua Hall at 10:00am.
- At the conclusion morning tea will be served in the hall. All welcome.