23 April 2014
Anzac Day Services in the south
This Friday (25 April) young and old will gather in communities throughout the south to remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice for their country. Anzac Day services will be held at the following locations:
- Dawn Parade Service at 6.30am
- Will be held at the cenotaph following the parade of ex-service personnel, Service Groups, Scouts, Guides etc, which will assemble on the corner of Mersey and Main Streets at 6.30am.
- Parade to be led by the Gore Pipe Band and official wreath bearers. Wreaths may be placed at this Service.
- RSA members, participants and friends are welcome back to the RSA Clubrooms at the conclusion of the Parade.
- The Gore RSA Bistro will be open for breakfast from 8am to 11am and again in the evening from 5pm to approximately 7:30pm. A light lunch from the Bistro will also be available. There will be musical entertainment at the clubrooms throughout the day.
- Live video feed from the cenotaph to the RSA clubrooms.
- Courtesy coach will be available for returned servicemen, their wives, or widows.
MATAURA at 7am
- Assemble at the Alliance Butcher shop, in Bridge Street, at 6:45am.
- Parade Marshall: Alistar Gray
- Minister: Rev Tau Ben Unu
- Cup of coffee and refreshments at the RSA clubrooms after the service.
PUKERAU at 9.30am
- A service will be held at the Memorial Gates at 9.30am (Community Centre if wet).
- There will be a morning tea at the Community Centre following the Service.
WAIKAKA at 10am
- The Waikaka Anzac Committee invites members and the general public to participate in their Anzac Day Service, to be held at the Waikaka Centennial Hall.
- The scout flag raising ceremony will begin at 9.55am.
- Chaplain: Jim Weir
- Guest Speakers: Commemorations through stories from local families who had ancestors fighting in World War One
- The Service will be followed by a luncheon for all attending. Families a plate please.
WAIMUMU/TE TIPUA at 10am
- An Anzac Service will be held at the Waimumu Memorial Church at 10am
- At the conclusion morning tea will be served in the Waimumu-TeTipua Hall. All welcome.
BALFOUR at 10am
- The parade departs from the Sports Ground gates at 9:45am for a Service at the Balfour Public Hall at 10am, followed by the opening and wreath laying at the new War Memorial.
- Cup of tea and refreshments will be provided following the Service.
- Parade Marshall: Henry Bennett
- Padre: Ron Elder
- Guest Speaker: Southland District Mayor Gary Tong
EDENDALE at 8am
- The public is invited to the Edendale Anzac Day Service at the war memorial at 8am.
- Parade to assemble at the baths at 7.45am.
- Seaward Downs: Wreath laying at 11am. Cup of tea to follow.
LUMSDEN at 7am
- The Service will be held at the monument at 7am.
- Assemble at the Senior Citizens Hall at 6:45am.
- Cup of Tea/Coffee at the Senior Citizens Hall at the conclusion of the Service.
RIVERSDALE at 10am
- The Service will commence in the Community Centre at 10am. Following the Service the parade will march to the Cenotaph for the wreath laying.
- A cup of tea and refreshments will follow at the Community Centre. Everyone welcome.
- Unveiling a memorial board to commemorate the refurbishment of the monument.
- Chairman: Billy MacKay.
- Chaplain: Rev John Gullick.
- Guest Speaker: Adam Roberts
- Parade Marshall: Brian Church.
TUTURAU at 11am
- An Anzac Day Service will be held at 11am at the Tuturau War Memorial.
- Parade Marshall: Neil McLeod
- Minister: Rev Tau Ben Unu
- Guest Speaker: Digger Eunson
WAIKAIA at 10am
- A Service will be held at the Community Centre at 10am.
- Following the parade to the Cenotaph a cup of tea and refreshments will be held at the Waikaia Hotel. Everyone welcome.
- Chairman: Barry Lawrence
- Parade Marshall: Ray Dickson
- Chaplain: Chris Waples
- Guest Speaker: Doug Wing
WYNDHAM at 9am
- Assemble at the Town Square at 8.45am. Parade will commence at 9am to a wreath laying ceremony at the War Memorial.
- Following the ceremony morning tea and refreshments will be held at the Evangelical Church
HERIOT at 11am
- Assemble at the Heriot Community Centre at 11am.
- The flag raising ceremony is at the completion of the service.
- Everyone is welcome for refreshments at the Community Centre at the completion of the Service.
- Chairman: Ian Alexander
- Guest Speaker: Gloria McCutcheon.
Dunrobin at 12.45pm (to follow on after the Heriot service)
TAPANUI at 9.30am
- The Service will be held at the Blue Mountain College Hall at 9:30am.
- Following the Service everyone is welcome back to the RSA Clubrooms for a cup of tea and refreshments.
- Chairman: Horace McAuley
- Parade Marshall: Tom Dungey
- Pastor: George Kopa