21 July 2017
Call goes out for passionate cycling advocates
Are you passionate about cycling and your community?
The Southland Cycling Governance Group is seeking Community Representatives to support the advancement of cycling in Southland.
In response to growing interest in recreational, commuting and cycle tourism, there has been region-wide consultation over the last year to develop a vision and strategy for cycling in Southland. The draft regional Cycling Strategy for Southland has been presented to local councils.
The four Councils of Southland have established a joint Governance Group to take this strategy forward and are now seeking three community representatives with a passion for the promotion of cycling in the region.
If this sounds like you then we’d like to receive your application to join the Southland Cycling Governance Group.
Key strategies to be employed by the Group include:
- Supporting improvements in basic infrastructure to encourage more people to cycle
- Supporting the development and promotion of a suite of high quality cycling experiences
- Supporting implementation of programmes to encourage people to cycle and raise safety awareness
- Supporting community cycling activities and participation based events
- Supporting the rejuvenation of competitive cycling events
- Supporting the development of local cycle commissionable tourism products and partnerships
- Providing strong leadership, communication and cooperation
- Working and consulting with key stakeholders
The Governance Group currently consists of four elected Council representatives from the Gore District, Invercargill City, Southland District and Environment Southland.
Meetings are planned to be held on a bi-monthly basis, further input may require reading and drafting of documents and consultation with key stakeholders.
This is a voluntary, non-paid position. Successful candidates will be notified in August.
This is your chance to have a positive impact on the future of cycling in our region
To apply please send your CV with a short summary of why you believe you would be the ideal candidate, including references from two other groups or individuals active in the area of cycling within Southland, to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5.00pm Wednesday 2 August 2017.
Terms of Reference [PDF, 159 KB]