27 September 2016

Plan ahead for Xmas functions

Are you planning a Christmas function or an event this summer where you want to sell alcohol? Then you may need a special licence.

And if you need a special licence, it pays to plan ahead to avoid being disappointed. Applications for a special licence must be made at least 20 working days before the event.

Who needs a special licence?

You need a special licence if you are selling alcohol at an event, or charging an entry fee or collecting donations where alcohol is being supplied for free.

This includes such events as:

  • sporting events
  • concerts
  • race meetings

When should you apply?

The short answer is, the earlier the better. Applications must be at least 20 working days before the event, however, with the period between 20 December 2016 and 15 January 2017 not considered as working days under the legislation, this can cause some problems.

If your event is between 15 January and 14 February next year, you need to make sure you take account of the non-working day period. This includes Waitangi Day on 6 February.

And remember, if the event occurs between 20 December and 7 February we must receive the application by 22 November.

So please get your applications in early. If you have any questions contact one of the alcohol licensing team, phone 209 0330.

You will also find more information about special licences and an application form on our Alcohol Licensing page.

Gore District Council 29 Bowler Avenue Gore P: 03 209 0330 E: