23 July 2014
Sports broadcaster guest speaker at Gore District Community Awards
Nominations for awards are open
Guest speaker at this year’s Gore District Community Awards will be one of the best known voices in sport, broadcaster Brendan Telfer.
Nominations for the 2014 awards have opened and once again there is a diverse list of categories. Since its inception seven years ago the awards have celebrated the achievements and dedication of young and old in our community.
This year sees the addition of the Coach of the Year award, sponsored by Sport Southland. The categories are:
- Gore District Civic Award
- Sport Southland Coach of the Year Award
- ANZ Eastern Southland Junior Sportsperson Award
- Eastern Southland Services to Sport Award
- Contribution to Arts and Culture
- Gore Musical Theatre Emerging Performing Artist Award
- JD Souness Young Achiever Award
- Soroptimist International of Gore Woman of the Year
- Hovell Environmental Planning Contribution to the Environment Award
- Newslink/Southland Times Eastern Southland Chamber of Commerce Customer Service Award
Council administration manager and awards convenor Susan Jones said that with 10 categories there was something for everyone.
“There are loads of people in our community worthy of being nominated; from young people, to businesses that provide excellent customer service, to those involved with sport: be it as a coach, administrator or participant.
“It is a wonderful opportunity to celebrate the successes our District has had over the past year or more,” she said.
Telfer continues the roll call of leading sports broadcasters, coaches and competitors to speak at the awards. His career spans 30 years and includes nine Olympic Games and eight Commonwealth Games.
This year’s awards will be held on Friday 31 October at the Gore Town and Country Club stadium. Nominations close on Friday 5 September.