Gore & Mataura Flooding Event

This page has information about the flooding in Gore and Mataura, and things you should know.


If you were affected by the February floods, Emergency Management Southland in conjunction with the Council have people working on the recovery. 

For updated information and contact details please go to the Emergency Management Southland website

Please see below contact numbers for various support agencies




Flooded Properties

Rubbish Collection

Mataura information

Gore information

Where to find help

Rural information

Press Releases


Situation as at 5.30pm, Wednesday 19 February 2020


Water Information

All boil water notices for the Gore District are lifted

In total, 10,104 water bottles with safe drinking water were distributed to schools throughout the district while boil water notices were in place. 

We will update information as it becomes available. For more details go to our Boil Water Notice page

Residents in Gore and Mataura do not need to conserve water or limit their wastewater. It's okay to shower as usual or do your washing. 


Roading Information  

The following roads are now open:

  • River Terrace - drive carefully, the road is still scoured, plans are in place to repair it in the next fortnight. 
  • Smith Road
  • MacGibbon Road
  • River Road
  • Wigan Street near the intersection with Salford Street. 
  • Coal Pit Road

Open but care needed:

  • River Street - from Hyde to Salford streets
  • Bury Street - gravel section
  • Salford Street - gravel section


The following roads are still closed:

  • Howe Road - due to damage to the bridge. It is unknown when it will be reopened.

Flooded Properties

29 homes in Gore, Mataura, Pukerau and rural areas had water above the floor line. A lot more had water running underneath them. A lot of garages and out buildings were also affected. 

18 businesses in Gore, Mataura and Pukerau were affected by flood waters.

Anyone whose property was affected and we haven’t assessed, please call the Council 2090330 and let us know.  

Information for people returning home

If your home or property was affected by the floods over the past few days, below are some tips to help as you embark on the clean-up.

  • Contact your insurance company and take photos.
  • Do not move back into a damp house, particularly if you have young children/babies.
  • If you had a power cut food in your freezer will stay safely frozen for up to 24 hours as long as the freezer door is kept closed. After 24 hours the food should be discarded. 
  • Please check on your neighbours - particularly if they live alone, are elderly or vulnerable.

Building safety issues

If you evacuated your property, it's important that you check all your essential services are working properly. Ensure facilities are safe (Gas/Electricity). If you have any doubt, don’t switch on and contact a qualified tradesperson. 

Power safety

If your house or property has been affected by flooding, PowerNet recommends customers do the following before power can be restored:

• Arrange for a registered electrician or electrical inspector to inspect your property to make sure it is safe to restore power
• PowerNet will request electrical certification documentation preferably an electrical safety certificate (ESC) or a certificate of verification. Either of these certificates so that we have confirmation that there has been an inspection by a qualified electrician before restoring power to the point of supply at your property
• If this has been completed and you would like power restored, please call 0800 808 587
• PowerNet request that the customer or customer’s electrician is on site during power restoration

What do the yellow and white stickers mean?

  • Yellow stickers means a house/business has had water in it but the person may enter at their discretion and own risk to undertake the clean up/strip out/dry out process. Council inspectors intend to revisit yellow-stickered properties within the next fortnight to check on progress. 
  • White stickers mean the house has been assessed and is all clear.

Stickered Properties FAQs [PDF, 383 KB]

 Information for property owners and builders

Replacement wall linings can be undertaken under Schedule 1 (1) of the Building Act 2004 (without a Building Consent) for residential buildings, unless they include replacing fire rated wall linings on, or close to, a boundary. This also applies to replacement of fire wall linings on flooded commercial properties as well – please seek Council advice on these before beginning this process.

We want to inspect all stripped out yellow-stickered buildings before any wall insulation or linings are installed. Please contact the Council to arrange inspections in advance.

It is advisable to install wall insulation in any stripped out exterior walls of residential buildings even if there was nothing installed prior to this event.

Please be aware that many residential properties looked at during had a lot of floodwater under wooden floors which need to be thoroughly pumped out and dried out during this process as well. The polythene DPM and underfloor blanket insulation may also need removed/replaced at this time. Many of these properties were not issued with yellow stickers because the peak flood level was beneath habitable floor level.

All property owners/occupiers are advised to get a registered electrical contractor to inspect and confirm the internal electrics of their buildings are safe to use.


Rubbish collection 

In Mataura roadside collection has finished. Wheelie bin collection has returned to normal.

If you have flood damaged items these can be taken to the Gore transfer station. You will not be charged to dispose of it. However, we will need your name, contact details, and car registration. Our attendant will also take a note of the amount and what is being dumped.

Please treat any flood damaged rubbish items left out for collection as being contaminated and do not rummage or touch. 



The drop-in centre at the Mataura community centre has closed.



Hamilton Park restrictions

  • The playground at Hamilton Park and the Waikaka walkway tracks are closed to the public. 
  • The BMX track, the dog park and playing field at Hamilton Park are open. 

  [PDF, 446 KB]


Help is available

If you are concerned about the wellbeing of someone else you can ring 111 if it is an immediate emergency and ask for Police or the Early Mental Health Response Service.

Mental health

You can talk with Southland Mental Health Emergency Services or the hospital’s Emergency Department on Kew Rd in an emergency. Ring 0800 467 846 and then select 1 for Southland. If the person you are concerned about is under 18 you can contact Child and Adolescent Family Services on 03 214 5753 or 0800 44 33 66.

Government Helpline
A Government Helpline is open seven days a week, from 9am to 5pm. Call 0800 779 997 if you:

  • would like assistance
  • are struggling to financially support yourself, or your family
  • would like more information about how the Ministry of Social Development can help.

Southland Mayoral Relief Fund
If you have been severely affected by the recent flooding, you may qualify for funding from the Southland Mayoral Relief Fund. The fund provides assistance on a one-off basis for extraordinary circumstances.

Complete the online application form at https://civildefencesouthland.govt.nz/mayoral-relief-fund/ or click here to download and complete the application form and email to: recovery@cdsouthland.nz or bring it to any SDC Service Centre, or drop off to Environment Southland, at the corner of North Rd and Price St in Invercargill. You can also drop your application off at reception at the Gore District Council or drop it at the Mataura Service Centre. You can also  post it to us at: Emergency Management Southland, Private Bag 90116, Invercargill, clearly marked with your name and "Mayoral Relief Fund”. Only one application will be considered per business or individual. Hard Copies of this form are available at local council offices.

Donations can be made to the fund at BNZ and online: Account No. 02-0924-0064987-006 : account name SDC – southland flood relief

Financial support
Extra financial support is available to people affected by the Lower South Island Flooding.

In emergencies, Work and Income can help you with costs you don’t have any other way of paying. You do not need to be on a benefit to be eligible and even if you don’t think you qualify, call Work and Income on 0800 559 009 to check your eligibility. There may be other options available and Work and Income can point you in the right direction. You can find more information (including eligibility criteria) on the Work and Income website at www.workandincome.govt.nz under ‘benefits and payments’.

In emergencies, Work and Income can help with:

  • payments if you’re hosting evacuees (private homes, marae or community centres);
  • accommodation costs if you’re evacuated and are staying in tourist accommodation (motels, hotels or temporary rental accommodation)
  • loss of livelihood (where you can’t work and have lost your income because of the Lower South Island Flooding; and
  • food, clothing and bedding (immediate needs up to a maximum amount).

Call the 0800 Government Helpline on 0800 779 997 OR Work and Income on 0800 559 009 to find out more.

Help with living expenses
If you need something urgently or get an unexpected bill and cannot afford to pay right now then Work and Income may be able to help you even if you are not on a benefit. Work and Income can help with things like medical costs, bedding, food, rent, power bills, repairs or replacing appliances.You may have to pay the money back depending on your situation.

Loss of income
Work and Income may be able to help if you have lost wages because of the Lower South Island Flooding. For example, if:

  • you can’t work because you’re sick or your workplace is closed, or
  • you have to stay home and look after family members.

Other help from Work and Income
Work and Income also provides other help such as benefits and housing assistance. Everyone’s situation is different, so what you qualify for will depend on your situation.

Contacting Work and Income
Contact Work and Income if you:

  • would like assistance
  • aren’t sure if you can get assistance
  • are struggling to support yourself, or your family
  • would like more information.

Visit the Work and Income website www.workandincome.govt.nz or phone 0800 559 009. Work and Income may be able to help you over the phone, without you coming into an office. If you do need to come in, Work and Income will make an appointment and tell you what to bring.

Support available from Inland Revenue
If you’ve been impacted by the Lower South Island Flooding and are struggling to deal with your tax or payments, please contact your tax agent or accountant. If you have missed filing returns or are late on payments, you can ask Inland Revenue to grant relief from penalties. The Inland Revenue website also has information on managing financial difficulty and debt. Visit www.ird.govt.nz/how-to/debt or call Inland Revenue on 0800 473 566.

Insurance loss, damage or business interruption
Get in touch with your insurer if you’ve suffered loss, sustained damage, have suffered a business interruption loss, or to check if you’re able to make a claim. If your home, contents or car has been damaged by the Lower South Island Flooding, report it to your insurance company as soon as possible. Your insurance company will let you know what you need to do next, how to claim and how EQC works. If you need to make your home safe, sanitary, secure and weather tight, please inform your insurer, record the work done, take photos and keep a copy of the bills paid. If you’re concerned or have questions about how to make a claim, get in touch with your insurer.

Lodging an EQC claim
EQC covers landslip damage to land, home and contents, within certain limits; and covers storm and flood damage to residential land only. If you need to make temporary repairs to keep your home safe, sanitary, secure and weathertight, please record the work done, take before and after photos, and keep copies of the bills you paid. Find out more at www.eqc.govt.nz/urgent-repairs. You can learn more about EQCover for storm and landslip damage at www.eqc.govt.nz/storm-damage and you can make an EQC claim online at www.eqc.govt.nz/claims or call 0800 DAMAGE (0800 326 243).To make a claim with EQC for natural disaster damage, you must have a home or contents insurance policy with a private insurance company when the natural disaster damage occurred.

Tenancy information
If you are the tenant or landlord of a rental property, you can find information on your rights and obligations at www.tenancy.govt.nz or by phoning 0800 TENANCY (0800 836 262).

Accommodation support
The National Emergency Management Agency has activated the Memorandum of Understanding with Airbnb for the Lower South Island Flooding. This means that you can access free accommodation, or register your interest in hosting people displaced by this event, through the Airbnb website at www.airbnb.co.nz/openhomes/disaster-relief/floodingnz20.

Schools and early childhood education centres
The Ministry of Education is working with local Civil Defence Centres and all schools and early learning services in the lower South Island to identify where assistance is needed, and to support them to remain open or reopen as soon as it is safe to do so.We know that during a flood, maintaining routines is important and children look to parents, caregivers and whānau and to their school or early learning service, for this support. It’s natural for children to want to be at school to play and learn with their peers. Some children may be feeling worried about what has happened and being at school will give them further opportunities to understand what is happening, and who is helping. Parents, caregivers and whānau should check with their school or early learning services for updated information.

Keeping children safe
If you’re worried that a child or young person you know is not safe or being cared for, or you know a child who has been separated from their parents or caregivers you can phone Oranga Tamariki on 0508 326 459 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week).


Rural support

Our rural people who need support FIRST POINT OF CALL 0800 787 254 is Rural Support Trust Community Hub as they need to be processed into the system. Rural Support is working with MPI and other agencies with a coordinated response for our rural people. 

Other information and resources can be found at: www.farmstrong.co.nz, www.depression.org.nz, www.skylight.org.nz, www.fedfarm.org.nz.

Animal welfare

Below are the details of who you should contact should you have concerns about your own stock or pets, or any stray animals:

  • Your pet(s) and/or livestock: Contact your veterinarian if you have any concerns relating to animal health. Call VetSouth 03 209 0101 or CVS 03 2080 140.
  • Stray animals: If you find animals that you do not own and are in need of immediate medical attention please take a small animal to your local veterinarian or contact the Gore SPCA (03 208 5111). For large animals, contact the Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) on 0800 00 83 33.


Press Releases


Flooding Advisory #1 [PDF, 447 KB]

Flooding Advisory #2 [PDF, 424 KB]

State of Emergency declared [PDF, 518 KB]

Gore Residents Allowed to Return Home [PDF, 447 KB]

Mataura Situation Update [PDF, 224 KB]

Mataura Residents Allowed Home [PDF, 221 KB]

Home Assessment Start [PDF, 417 KB]

Council moves quickly on exposed old landfill [PDF, 413 KB] 

Farmers asked to report baleage issues [PDF, 466 KB]

First applications for Mayoral Relief Fund [PDF, 417 KB]

Gore District Council 29 Bowler Avenue Gore P: 03 209 0330 E: info@goredc.govt.nz